Facebook Twitter In You Tube

AudiologyNOW! 2015: OTC Tinnitus Relief Products: Helpful or Harmful? (.1 CEUs)

Recorded On: 04/24/2015

OTC Tinnitus Relief Products: Helpful or Harmful?

Recorded March 25, 2015 recorded at AudiologyNOW 2015

Duration: 1 hour

Presenter: Robert M. DiSogra, AuD

CEUs: .1

Who Should Attend: Audiologists, ENT physicians

Instructional Level: Intermediate
Program Focus:
Knowledge

Learner Outcomes: Upon completion, each participant in the eAudiology Web seminar will be able to:

  1. Identify federal and private agencies that are responsible for disseminating tinnitus product ingredient information
  2. Recognize ingredients that can be potentially harmful to several
  3. Learn how to report adverse events to the FDA that involve a tinnitus supplement

Description: There are no over-the-counter (OTC) tinnitus relief products that are FDA approved yet over 50 products are commercially available that claim relief or even occur for tinnitus. Current research has identified that only 10% of the ingredients have peer reviewed research – the other 90% may be totally useless or even harmful to the user. Efficacy, safety and longitudinal data rarely exist.

This eAudiology Web seminar reviews the federal guidelines for OTC tinnitus relief supplements and identifies ingredients in these products that could be harmful to your patient. Recommendations are made for improved management of your tinnitus patients.


Robert M. DiSogra, AuD, is the Owner/Director of Audiology Associates, PC in Freehold, NJ - his private practice - that he has maintained for the past 30 years. Dr. DiSogra has held undergraduate and graduate level faculty positions at Salus University, St. John's University, Rutgers University and Kean University. Dr. DiSogra's interests include adverse drug, herbal medicine and nutritional supplements reactions and patient management. More recently, he has been researching the safety and efficacy of the ingredients found in over-the-counter tinnitus relief products. He has lectured and published extensively in these areas at many state Academy meetings and at national and international Audiology conferences. Dr. DiSogra was Salus University's 2013 Alumnus of the Year. He was a co-founder and a past President of the New Jersey Academy of Audiology.

Key:

Complete
Failed
Available
Locked
On-Demand Presentation
On-Demand Presentation You must register to access.
Assessment
Assessment
Evaluation
Please complete the evaluation. You must register to access.
Certificate